When a person applies for a United States visa, there are terms and conditions
that they must follow. One of those conditions is the length of time they
are permitted to remain in the United States. Certain types of visas will
allow their holder to stay for different amounts of time.
Common Visa Types & Length of Stay
Visas can be split into two main types:
immigration and non-immigration. A non-immigration visa is for those that seek to
remain for a short period of time due to work, studying, tourism, or business.
Immigrant visas are included for those intending to become residents.
Some of the common visa types and lengths are below:
- Visitors for business or pleasure: 6 months or less, can be extended
- Transit through the United States: No longer than what is needed for travel
- Academic students: Duration of the time enrolled full-time at an approved school
- Temporary workers: 12 months or less
- Spouses of citizens: 2 years or less, or until their green card is approved
- Athletes, entertainers, and artists: Time needed to complete the event
- Victims of trafficking: 4 years, unless special circumstances are met
The type of visa that a person applies for will only authorize that activity
to be completed for the pre-approved length of time. Many of these visas
can be extended if the proper information is provided, but a new visa
must be applied for if something changes. For example, someone that comes
for a limited time on a business visa cannot enroll in school and assume
their business visa will apply as an academic visa.
It is important to know that a visa may have an expiration date that does
not indicate how long someone can remain in the United States on their
visa. It is the length of time that the person is authorized to enter
the United States.
Staying past the time limits of a visa can have serious consequences. Our
firm provides legal support to those in Florida that are facing any problems
concerning immigration, including visa-related issues.If you find yourself overstaying the terms of your visa
contact Robert Brown LLC right away.