Do you have immediate family currently residing outside the United States? Are you wondering whether they are eligible for green cards as a result of your U.S. citizenship or permanent resident status? If you have a family member who is interested in obtaining a green card, you may be able to petition on their behalf.
Green Cards for Immediate Relative
Immediate family members and what the government refers to as "preference relatives" can apply for green cards as long as they are sponsored by one of the following individuals:
- A parent can be sponsored by a U.S. citizen age 21 or older
- A spouse can receive sponsorship from a U.S. citizen spouse
- Minor, unmarried children can be sponsored by a U.S. citizen parent
- Married or adult children are given preferential relative status when sponsored by a parent who is a U.S. citizen
- Brothers and sisters of US citizens also have preference relative status
- Unmarried children can receive preference relative status when sponsored by a parent with permanent resident status
- A U.S. permanent resident can sponsor his or her spouse as a preference relative
Eligibility for a green card depends on a person's familial ties, his or her education and work experience, as well as where the individual is currently residing. Talk to an attorney to learn more about the eligibility of your loved one. If you have a fiance you want to bring over, our attorneys can also assist with the K1 visa application.
Waiting Period for Family Green Cards
Waiting periods for those seeking a green card can vary greatly. Immediate family members are not restricted by green card numerical limitations. Preference relatives will be given priority. Wait time for preference status vary from months to many years.
Bringing Families Together
If you want to find out how to get the application process started for a family member seeking permanent resident status, we advise you to waste no time in contacting our firm and scheduling a consultation with an immigration attorney at once. Brown Immigration Law is devoted to keeping families together. We realize how difficult it can be to have family members living apart outside the U.S. It is our goal is to do everything we can to help reunite you and your family here in the States.
We have years of experience, as well as a comprehensive understanding of immigration laws. Immigrants have a much greater chance of success when they have a immigration lawyer from our firm zealously advocating for their rights. Contact our firm now to find out what we can do for you.